What Causes Swollen Legs From the Knee Down – You might be experiencing tight socks, or suddenly it might be getting very hard to put your regular jeans on. This is not because you are getting fat. It could be swollen legs, either from knees down or complete legs.
Many times people get confused between swollen legs and getting fat. Even though when you get fat, your legs do get swollen, if you are not putting any weight or extra fat on any other body parts, for example, the stomach, then it could be swollen legs only.
Usually, leg swelling generally happens when an accumulation of fluids in the tissues goes abnormal. Usually, doctors call leg swelling peripheral edema. It could happen due to the number of causes which we have discussed below.
What do we mean by swollen legs?
There are different combinations of swollen legs. For example, you might get swelling in just one leg from the knee down or both legs at the same time. Apart from that, only a portion of your leg might get swollen.
Other than that, you might get swelling in your legs suddenly or gradually over a period of time. In a few cases, the swelling might be there all the time, or it could be there at night, but as soon as you start waking up, it will go away.
Last but not least, you might experience pain queue times or no pain at all. You should take note of all these symptoms, and it will help your doctor to understand the main reason behind them.
What Causes Swollen Legs From the Knee Down – Major Causes
Now let’s take a look at all the major causes of swollen legs from the knee down. Kindly remember that swollen legs from the knee down could be caused by a number of issues, and these are just the major causes. There could be several other reasons which we have not mentioned.
Usually, people experience swollen legs from the knee down after sitting for a longer period of time. When we go on a long journey, We don’t usually do anything other than sit in the backseat of the car.
When muscles are in a relaxed state, they can’t pump the fluids back toward the heart. The inability to bump back the fluid towards the heart became the reason for the retention of water, and from the outside, it looked like swelling.
It is one of the most common causes of swelling in the knee. Usually, swelling after a long journey goes away within a few hours once you start moving.
Obesity and being overweight affect your body a lot, and swollen legs from the knee down are just one example. When you carry extra fat, it decreases blood circulation, and as a result, your body starts collecting fluids.
Usually, the collection of fluids starts from your feet and ankles, and it becomes the reason for swollen legs from the knee down. You should take good care of your body weight.
After being overweight and having a long journey, pregnancy is one of the biggest reasons for swollen legs. Most pregnant women experience swollen legs once in their pregnancy. It is a natural process, and there is nothing you have to worry about if you are pregnant and you have swollen legs.
There is one thing which you should make sure that you are not getting swollen legs because of your blood pressure problem. Apart from that, you are completely safe.
Due to certain health conditions, your doctor might prescribe you a few strong medications which can cause swollen feet. For example, several steroids can cause swollen feet due to water retention.
Apart from that, synthetic estrogen and testosterone can also cause swelling in your feet. At the same time, some antidepressants, along with the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, may also cause the same.
If you are having any of the above-given medicine, then you should let your doctor know about swollen legs. Even though doctors track the swelling in legs and other body parts after giving you the medication, if your doctrine is not tracking your swelling, you should let them know.
Blood clotting may also cause swollen legs. A blood clot of any kind in your legs may become the cause of water retention by blocking the vein. If you have any kind of heart condition and you are getting swollen, kindly contact your doctor immediately.
Joint problems, including inflammation, can also lead to swollen legs. For example, people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis or psoriatic arthritis Usually have swollen legs. Along with the swelling, you might experience warm, red, and painful joints.
Treatment of swollen legs from the knee down
Now let’s take a look at the treatment options for swollen legs from the knee down. Kindly remember these are general ideas, and they may or may not work on you according to your cause of swollen legs.
- The first thing you can do is elevate your legs while lying down. Your legs should be above the level of your heart, and you can use below or support of a wall in order to do that.
- If you’re travelling for a longer period of time, then consider at least stretching once an hour. Apart from that, if you are getting regular swelling for setting, then you should get more physically active and try to move your legs as much as possible.
- A few dietary changes might also help you from swollen legs from the knee down. For the starter, you can cut your salt intake, which can decrease the amount of fluid in your body.
- You should also consider changing your lifestyle and clothing. For example, you should avoid wearing a garter and other types of clothes that may restrict flow in your thighs.
- If you are overweight, then consider maintaining healthy body weight. As you already know, extra body weight or obesity is directly linked to less blood flow and water retention in your legs.
When to see your doctor for swollen legs?
Usually, swollen legs are not extremely dangerous, but sometimes it might be a sign of something serious coming in your future. We have listed a few things you should understand and see your doctor as soon as possible if you are having these things and swollen legs at the same time.
- For example, if you have any kidney or heart disease and you are experiencing swelling, then kindly visit your doctor as soon as possible.
- If you have liver disease or you are having symptoms like liver disease along with swelling in your legs, it is time for you to visit your doctor.
- Even though swelling is normal sometimes, you should make sure that swelling is not having any red area or feel warm. It could be something serious, and visiting your doctor is not a bad thing to do at this stage.
- For example, if you are pregnant and suddenly get swollen legs, you should consult with your doctor as soon as possible.
- Swelling usually goes away within a day or so but if you have to swell for a longer period of time and it is getting worse, kindly visit your doctor.
Apart from all that, pain in the swollen area along with tightness in the chest could be the indication of something serious coming in your future.
If you are having chest pain, dizziness, or confusion along with swollen feet, that currently visit your doctor as soon as possible.
Swollen legs from the knee down is not a very serious problem, but it might be an indication of an upcoming serious health condition in the future. Swelling in the legs happens when the legs hold more fluids than they normally should.
It could happen due to various reasons starting from blood clotting, different medications, pregnancy, etc. apart from that, you might experience swelling in your legs when you travel for a longer period of time and do not move.
One of the biggest reasons for people getting swollen legs from the knee down is being overweight. You should always try to maintain your weight at healthy levels according to your age and height.
Can I do anything to prevent swollen feet?
Yes, there are a few things you can do to save your legs from getting swollen. For the starter, you can start exercising at least 30 minutes a day or 150 minutes a week. Apart from that, you can also try to not sit for a longer period of time in just one position. You can keep moving at least once an hour. The third thing you can do is regulate your sodium intake.
What are the treatment options for swollen legs?
The treatment of swollen legs depends on the reason for the same. For example, if you are having a blood clot and getting swollen feet, then your doctor will recommend something to you depending on the diagnosis of your heart. Similarly, skin infections can be treated using antibiotics.